With the 100 series pedestal Jefa Steering introduces a new style in classic pedestal design. The traditional “wine glass” shape is combined with modern lines into a beautiful pedestal design. The important accessories like the guardrail and the compass binnacle* are integrated into the concept. Due to this innovative design no mountings bolts are visible on any part of the exterior of the pedestal. The integrated compass offers easy and clear readings without the need of a separate binnacle. The 32 mm diameter stainless steel 316 guardrail is firmly attached to the pedestal head offering the best protection for the compass and pedestal combined with a strong support when moving around in the cockpit. The integrated powerful and progressive friction brake can be operated without putting one’s hand through the wheel.
The 100 series pedestal concept has big advantages over existing similar concepts:
- All pedestal parts are machined from seawater resistant solid Aluminium 6082. As this material is also used for rudder shafts, it will not corrode, even when it’s exposed by a surface damage. No casted aluminium parts are used in this pedestal.
- The robust powder coated aluminium base has no mounting holes for pedestal bolts as these are integrated in the pedestal deck flange. This avoids multiple weak points for damage with the accompanying corrosion and possible leaking.
- The input socket has no exterior mounting bolts for a stylish look and avoiding multiple potential corrosion and damage points.
- The robust guardrail is mounted directly to the pedestal head avoiding a top plate with mounting bolts with potential corrosion points.
- The compass binnacle is integrated in the pedestal design avoiding a set of mounting bolts with potential corrosion.
- The steering shaft is sealed by the Jefa developed PUR seal. Normal industry seals use steel reinforcement rings in the rubber housing. As the standard industry rubber will start to crack due to the UV in the sunlight, the steel rings will corrode and destroy the seal letting water in the steering shaft bearings with disastrous effects. The PUR seal will guarantee an life long sealing.
The 100 series pedestal is available as WP100 for wire steering, RP100 for rack and pinion steering and TS100 for transmission steering. All pedestals are CE approved.
Brake spinner is not included and should be ordered separately.
Jefa 100 series steering pedestal variations
- Jefa has a wide range of steering wheels which fit on all our pedestals and steerers
- The pedestal can be fitted with Olympic 135 and Horizon 135 compasses from Plastimo.
- With a forward bend extended guardrail (called kick-back guardrail) it is possible to mount an instrument pod for the mounting of instruments, buttons and joysticks.
- Jefa teak cockpit table is 300 mm wide and 700 mm long when folded in, and 600 mm wide and 700 mm long when folded out which can be fitted to the pedestal.
- The pedestal can also be fitted with an engine control mechanism and housing. It’s advisable to order the mechanism directly with the pedestal as a special stud has to be mounted in the pedestal head. It’s possible to retrofit the mechanism housing. The original stud will have to be replaced by a shorter version. The housing is watertight against splash and rain water. The mechanism housing is only available including the engine control mechanism as some modifications on the original mechanism have to be made to ensure a correct fit. A stainless steel 316 mechanism handle is included in this option.
The following illustrations show the most common combinations.
Jefa WP100 cable steering pedestals
The WP100 is the cable steering version of the 100 series pedestal. The 25 mm steering shaft is equipped with the standard international 1″ taper to fit all Jefa wheels up to 1500 mm diameter. The steering shaft has 2 ball bearings at the front of the pedestal and one ball bearing at the aft side of the pedestal.
The pedestal can be equipped with different sprocket sizes to match the turns starboard to port as specified. Please look at the table for choosing the the sprocket size in relation to the quadrant radius.
The WP100 pedestal can be used for open wire systems with our cross wire and parallel wire idlers. These idlers have large base plates for a a firm clamping of the deck between the deck flange of the pedestal and the base plate. The idlers are mounted with pedestal mounting studs, so no additional mounting bolts are necessary.
The WP100 pedestal can be used for conduit cable systems by fitting the WP100 conduit plate underneath the pedestal.
Jefa WP100 cable steering pedestal dimensions
- The standard heights of the pedestal are 630, 710 and 800 mm. Custom heights are available at request.
- The compass mounting flange should not exceed 180 mm diameter.
- The appropriate compass hole will be drilled when the compass is ordered together with the pedestal.
- The pedestal mounting studs are available in multiple lengths to suit the cockpit floor thickness. The mounting studs are positioned on a circle of 220 mm.
- The cable offset relative to the middle of the pedestal is 20 mm.
- All WP100 pedestal variations are available as CAD drawing in our download area.
Jefa guardrail feet for 100 series pedestals
The Jefa type 100 guardrail feet are unique in the world as they not only secure the guardrail firmly to the cockpit floor, but they also provide a watertight solution when cables have to go through the cockpit floor. The only part visible from the outside is a 5 mm high, 40 mm diameter black ring as the top of the guardrail foot is inserted into the stainless steel tube. A 3 mm O-ring makes sure no water will enter from outside. Jefa steering produces 3 types of guardrail feet. Type 1 is supplied when no penetration to the cockpit floor is required for engine control or instrument cables. Type 2 is supplied when engine control or instrument cables have to go through the cockpit floor with a maximum thickness off 45 mm. Type 3 is supplied when engine control or instrument cables have to go through the cockpit floor with a maximum thickness off 95 mm.
So the following is included in the deliveries: A 100 series pedestal without engine control or extended guardrail: 2 off type 1 feet. A 100 series pedestal with engine control: 1 off type 1 and 1 off type 2. A 100 series pedestal with engine control and extended guardrail: 2 off type 2 guardrail feet. Type 3 has no surcharge but has to be separately ordered.
Jefa WP100 cable steering pedestals and accessories
|Part No.||Description||Price in Euro|
|WP100-63||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 11 t., guardrail, binnacle, 630 mm high||1292|
|WP100-71||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 11 t., guardrail, binnacle, 710 mm high||1292|
|WP100-80||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 11 t., guardrail, binnacle, 800 mm high||1292|
|WP101-63||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 13 t., guardrail, binnacle, 630 mm high||1292|
|WP101-71||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 13 t., guardrail, binnacle, 710 mm high||1292|
|WP101-80||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 13 t., guardrail, binnacle, 800 mm high||1292|
|WP102-63||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 15 t., guardrail, binnacle, 630 mm high||1292|
|WP102-71||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 15 t., guardrail, binnacle, 710 mm high||1292|
|WP102-80||WP100 pedestal with 5/8" 15 t., guardrail, binnacle, 800 mm high||1292|
|CP100||WP100 conduit plate||79|
|GUA100KB||Surcharge for kick back guardrail for 100 series pedestal(only in combination with new pedestal)||71|
|GUA100KB-R||Retrofit kick back guardrail for 100 series pedestal||228|
|ST10065||4pcs mounting studs M10x65mm (80) with nut||18|
|ST10080||4pcs mounting studs M10x80mm (95) with nut||20|
|ST10120||4pcs mounting studs M10x120mm (135) with nut||25|
WP100 pedestal example