RP150 rack and pinion steering pedestal
With the 150 series pedestal Jefa Steering introduces a new style in modern pedestal design. The important accessories like the guardrail, engine control* and the compass binnacle* are integrated into the concept. Due to the innovative design a minimum of mountings bolts are visible on the exterior of the pedestal. The integrated compass offers easy and clear readings without the need of a separate binnacle. The 25 mm diameter stainless steel 316 guardrail is firmly attached to the pedestal offering the best protection for the compass and pedestal combined with a strong support when moving around in the cockpit. It also provides a strong mounting platform for a variety of instrument housings. The integrated powerful and progressive friction brake can be operated without putting one’s hand through the wheel.
The 150 series pedestal concept has big advantages over existing similar concepts:
- All pedestal parts are machined from seawater resistant solid Aluminium 6082. As this material is also used for rudder shafts, it will not corrode, even when it’s exposed by a surface damage. No casted aluminium parts are used in this pedestal.
- The robust powder coated aluminium base has no mounting holes for pedestal bolts as these are integrated in the pedestal deck flange. This avoids multiple weak points for damage with the accompanying corrosion and possible leaking.
- The input socket has no exterior mounting bolts for a stylish look and avoiding multiple potential corrosion and damage points.
- The robust guardrail is mounted directly to the pedestal avoiding a top plate with mounting bolts with potential corrosion points.
- The compass binnacle is integrated in the pedestal design.
- The steering shaft is sealed by the Jefa developed PUR seal. Normal industry seals use steel reinforcement rings in the rubber housing. As the standard industry rubber will start to crack due to the UV in the sunlight, the steel rings will corrode and destroy the seal letting water in the steering shaft bearings with disastrous effects. The PUR seal will guarantee an life long sealing.
The 150 series pedestal is available as WP150 for wire steering, RP150 for rack and pinion steering and TS150 for transmission steering. All pedestals are CE approved.
Please click on the pictures for a larger view.
Brake spinner is not included and should be ordered separately.
Jefa 150 series steering pedestal variations
The 150 series pedestal is available in multiple variations. The pedestal can be fitted with an engine control mechanism and with a extended guardrail for the mounting of extra instruments, buttons and joysticks. The following illustrations show the most common combinations. This illustration can be seen in 3 dimensions via Adobe Acrobat (V6>). Please click on button VIEW 3-D and click on the product and hold and move the mouse.
Jefa 150 series steering pedestal with large head
The 150 series pedestal is available with a larger head to accommodate a plotter, instruments and control buttons.
Jefa 150 series engine control mechanism
An engine control mechanism can be fitted to the Jefa 150 series pedestal. It’s advisable to order the mechanism directly with the pedestal as a special profile has to be machined in the pedestal tube. A stainless steel 316 mechanism handle is included in this option.
Jefa RP150 rack and pinion steering pedestals
The RP150 is the rack and pinion steering version of the 150 series pedestal. The steering pedestal is usable for boats up to 50′ in length (above 45′ a big wheel has to be used). The 25 mm steering shaft is equipped with the standard international 1″ taper to fit all Jefa wheels up to 1500 mm diameter. The steering shaft has 2 ball bearings spaced maximum apart in the input pinion of the pedestal driving the gearwheel with a reduction of 5:1.
On top of the exterior innovative advantages described above, the RP150 also has major construction advantages over existing similar pedestal concepts:
- The input pinion has no exterior mounting bolts for a stylish look and less chance of damage and corrosion. The input assembly can be easy removed from the inside of the pedestal.
- The nickel aluminium bronze gearwheel is not casted but made from solid extruded nickel aluminium bronze, making it extremely strong and homogeneous and free from any porosity.
- The gearwheel is bolted to the vertical driving shaft with 4 off M12 bolts allowing the gearwheel to be easy removable for service, inspection and if necessary future replacement.
- The vertical driving shaft is made of high strength aluminium (proof stress of 280 N/mm² compared to 200 N/mm² for stainless steel) with a large outside diameter of 70 mm and a wall thickness of 5 mm making it indestructible and enormously stiff, so the gears will never run out of mesh.
- The vertical driving shaft bottom bearing is a 70 mm Jefa rudder bearing guarantying a strong and non-corrosive solution.
- The output lever isn’t welded to the vertical driving shaft but secured with a double key. This provides the most flexible solution as the position of the lever depends on the variable deck thickness and can be adjusted during the installation. The distance between the bottom of the deck flange and the top of the lever is adjustable from 41 to 120 mm. Another advantage of this solution is the fact that the steering geometry can be swapped from starboard geometry (standard) to port geometry during the installation.
- The draglink between the pedestal and the rudder is made of anodised high strength aluminium, which provides a stronger and lighter solution than a stainless steel variant.
- The rose joints on the draglink aren’t industry joints, but a special design by Jefa Steering and made from high strength anodised aluminium with an easy removable delrin ball inside. This solution finally solves the electrically disconnection of the rudder from the rest of the steering system and boat. (See our electrolysis page for further information.)
Jefa RP150 rack and pinion steering pedestal dimensions
- The standard heights of the pedestal are 630, 710 and 800 mm. Custom heights are available at request.
- The compass mounting flange should not exceed 180 mm diameter.
- The appropriate compass hole will be drilled when the compass is ordered together with the pedestal.
- The pedestal mounting studs are available in multiple lengths to suit the cockpit floor thickness.
- The RP150 should never be used without the RP150 stop plate to limit the travel of the output lever and avoid damage to the steering system and rudder system.
- All RP150 pedestal variations are available as CAD drawing in our download area.
Jefa cockpit table for type 150 pedestal
The Jefa teak cockpit table is 350 mm wide and 650 mm long when folded in, and 700 mm wide and 650 mm long when folded out. The table edges are made of solid teak and the core is made of 20 mm plywood with teak veneer. The blades are joined with stainless steel hinges for long durability. The cockpit tables are always delivered unvarnished to allow the owner to use their own teak protection system like teak oil, single of twin component varnish. It is not advisable to leave the table unvarnished as it will become dirty after a short use.
The table mounting kit consists of 2 special table hinge studs on a bracket which is mounted on the tube of the pedestal which allows the table hinges to be mounted in different heights depending on the pedestal height and the cockpit bench height. The mounting kit has a quick mounting and dismounting system: By lifting the table 45 degrees up, a special flatted part on the hinge pin allows the table to be lifted out and in easily. The attachment of the U-bend on the pedestal is adjustable to make sure the table can be set horizontal after installation. A hold-down kit is also included. The table mounting kit for an existing table comprises all parts except for the table blades and blade hinges.
Jefa cockpit tables and mounting kits
|Part No.||Description||Price in Euro|
|CT150||Cockpit table for type 150 pedestal, incl. mounting kit||731|
|CT150FIT||Cockpit table mounting kit for type 150 pedestal||255|
Jefa RP150 rack and pinion steering pedestals
|RP150-63||RP150 r & p pedestal incl. guardrail, binnacle, 630 mm high|
|RP150-71||RP150 r & p pedestal incl. guardrail, binnacle, 710 mm high|
|RP150-80||RP150 r & p pedestal incl. guardrail, binnacle, 800 mm high|
|HD150-3||Surcharge for 150 type HD3 large pedestal head (only in combination with new pedestal)|
Jefa RP150 rack and pinion steering typical price example
|ST10080||Pedestal bolt set M10 x 80 mm|
|EC150||Engine control for the 150 series pedestal including handle and housing|
|COM-OLYM||Plastimo Olympic 135 compass with black housing and black card|
|COM-HORIZ||Plastimo Horizon 135 compass with black housing and black card|
|HD150-3||Surcharge for 150 type HD3 large pedestal head|
|CT150||Cockpit table for type 150 pedestal, incl. mounting kit|
|CT150FIT||Cockpit table mounting kit for type 150 pedestal|
|INST-DUO||Duo instrument housing|
|INST-TRIO||Trio instrument housing|
|INST-QUAD||Quad instrument housing|
|INST-RAD||Radar instrument housing|
- The length of the draglink is defined as the distance from the centre of the pedestal to the centre of the rudderstock.
- Depending on the diameter of the rudderstock at the location of the tiller choose the TLJ050, TLJ075 or the TLJ100
- Please choose the appropriate diameter, style and version of wheel: Standard or Tandem, with or without leather cover.