RP100 rack and pinion steering pedestal
With the 100 series pedestal Jefa Steering introduces a new style in classic pedestal design. The traditional “wine glass” shape is combined with modern lines into a beautiful pedestal design. The important accessories like the guardrail and the compass binnacle* are integrated into the concept. Due to this innovative design no mountings bolts are visible on any part of the exterior of the pedestal. The integrated compass offers easy and clear readings without the need of a separate binnacle. The 32 mm diameter stainless steel 316 guardrail is firmly attached to the pedestal head offering the best protection for the compass and pedestal combined with a strong support when moving around in the cockpit. The integrated powerful and progressive friction brake can be operated without putting one’s hand through the wheel.
The 100 series pedestal concept has big advantages over existing similar concepts:
- All pedestal parts are machined from seawater resistant solid Aluminium 6082. As this material is also used for rudder shafts, it will not corrode, even when it’s exposed by a surface damage. No casted aluminium parts are used in this pedestal.
- The robust powder coated aluminium base has no mounting holes for pedestal bolts as these are integrated in the pedestal deck flange. This avoids multiple weak points for damage with the accompanying corrosion and possible leaking.
- The input socket has no exterior mounting bolts for a stylish look and avoiding multiple potential corrosion and damage points.
- The robust guardrail is mounted directly to the pedestal head avoiding a top plate with mounting bolts with potential corrosion points.
- The compass binnacle is integrated in the pedestal design avoiding a set of mounting bolts with potential corrosion.
- The steering shaft is sealed by the Jefa developed PUR seal. Normal industry seals use steel reinforcement rings in the rubber housing. As the standard industry rubber will start to crack due to the UV in the sunlight, the steel rings will corrode and destroy the seal letting water in the steering shaft bearings with disastrous effects. The PUR seal will guarantee an life long sealing.
The 100 series pedestal is available as WP100 for wire steering, RP100 for rack and pinion steering and TS100 for transmission steering. All pedestals are CE approved.
Please click on the pictures for a larger view.
Brake spinner is not included and should be ordered separately.
Jefa 100 series steering pedestal variations
The 100 series pedestal is available in multiple variations. The pedestal can be fitted with an engine control mechanism and with a forward bend extended guardrail (called kick-back guardrail) for the mounting of instruments, buttons and joysticks. The following illustrations show the most common combinations. Please click on the illustrations for a larger view.
Jefa 100 series engine control housing
An engine control mechanism and housing can be fitted to the Jefa 100 series pedestal. It’s advisable to order the mechanism directly with the pedestal as a special stud has to be mounted in the pedestal head. It’s possible to retrofit the mechanism housing. The original stud will have to be replaced by a shorter version. The housing is watertight against splash and rain water. The mechanism housing is only available including the engine control mechanism as some modifications on the original mechanism have to be made to ensure a correct fit. A stainless steel 316 mechanism handle is included in this option. Please click on the picture for a larger view.
Jefa RP100 rack and pinion steering pedestals
The RP100 is the rack and pinion steering version of the 100 series pedestal. The steering pedestal is usable for boats up to 50′ in length (above 45′ a big wheel has to be used). The 25 mm steering shaft is equipped with the standard international 1″ taper to fit all Jefa wheels up to 1500 mm diameter. The steering shaft has 2 ball bearings spaced maximum apart in the input pinion of the pedestal driving the gearwheel with a reduction of 5:1.
On top of the exterior innovative advantages described above, the RP100 also has major construction advantages over existing similar pedestal concepts:
- The input pinion has no exterior mounting bolts for a stylish look and less chance of damage and corrosion. The input assembly can be easy removed from the inside of the pedestal.
- The nickel aluminium bronze gearwheel is not casted but made from solid extruded nickel aluminium bronze, making it extremely strong and homogeneous and free from any porosity.
- The gearwheel is bolted to the vertical driving shaft with 4 off M12 bolts allowing the gearwheel to be easy removable for service, inspection and if necessary future replacement.
- The vertical driving shaft is made of high strength aluminium (proof stress of 280 N/mm² compared to 200 N/mm² for stainless steel) with a large outside diameter of 70 mm and a wall thickness of 5 mm making it indestructible and enormously stiff, so the gears will never run out of mesh.
- The vertical driving shaft bottom bearing is a 70 mm Jefa rudder bearing guarantying a strong and non-corrosive solution.
- The output lever isn’t welded to the vertical driving shaft but secured with a double key. This provides the most flexible solution as the position of the lever depends on the variable deck thickness and can be adjusted during the installation. The distance between the bottom of the deck flange and the top of the lever is adjustable from 41 to 120 mm. Another advantage of this solution is the fact that the steering geometry can be swapped from starboard geometry (standard) to port geometry during the installation.
- The draglink between the pedestal and the rudder is made of anodised high strength aluminium, which provides a stronger and lighter solution than a stainless steel variant.
- The rose joints on the draglink aren’t industry joints, but a special design by Jefa Steering and made from high strength anodised aluminium with an easy removable delrin ball inside. This solution finally solves the electrically disconnection of the rudder from the rest of the steering system and boat. (See our electrolysis page for further information.)
Jefa RP100 rack and pinion steering pedestal dimensions
- The standard heights of the pedestal are 630, 710 and 800 mm. Custom heights are available at request.
- The compass mounting flange should not exceed 180 mm diameter.
- The appropriate compass hole will be drilled when the compass is ordered together with the pedestal.
- The pedestal mounting studs are available in multiple lengths to suit the cockpit floor thickness. The mounting studs are positioned on a circle of 220 mm diameter.
- The RP100 should never be used without the RP100 stopring to limit the travel of the output lever and avoid damage to the steering system and rudder system.
- All RP100 pedestal variations are available as CAD drawing in our download area.
Jefa guardrail feet for 100 series pedestals
The Jefa type 100 guardrail feet are unique in the world as they not only secure the guardrail firmly to the cockpit floor, but they also provide a watertight solution when cables have to go through the cockpit floor. The only part visible from the outside is a 5 mm high, 40 mm diameter black ring as the top of the guardrail foot is inserted into the stainless steel tube. A 3 mm O-ring makes sure no water will enter from outside. Jefa steering produces 3 types of guardrail feet. Type 1 is supplied when no penetration to the cockpit floor is required for engine control or instrument cables. Type 2 is supplied when engine control or instrument cables have to go through the cockpit floor with a maximum thickness off 45 mm. Type 3 is supplied when engine control or instrument cables have to go through the cockpit floor with a maximum thickness off 95 mm.
So the following is included in the deliveries: A 100 series pedestal without engine control or extended guardrail: 2 off type 1 feet. A 100 series pedestal with engine control: 1 off type 1 and 1 off type 2. A 100 series pedestal with engine control and extended guardrail: 2 off type 2 guardrail feet. Type 3 has no surcharge but has to be separately ordered. Please click on the picture and drawing for a larger view.
Jefa RP100 rack and pinion steering pedestals
|RP100 r & p pedestal incl. output lever, guardrail, binnacle, 630 mm high
|RP100 r & p pedestal incl. output lever, guardrail, binnacle, 710 mm high
|RP100 r & p pedestal incl. output lever, guardrail, binnacle, 800 mm high
Jefa RP100 Accessories
|Engine control for the 100 series pedestal including handle and housing
|Plastimo Olympic 135 compass with black housing and black card
|Plastimo Horizon 135 compass with black housing and black card
|Surcharge extended guardrail for all new pedestals
|Cockpit table for type 100 pedestal, incl. mounting kit
|Cockpit table mounting kit for type 100 pedestal
|Duo instrument housing
|Trio instrument housing
|Quad instrument housing
|Radar instrument housing
- The length of the draglink is defined as the distance from the centre of the pedestal to the centre of the rudderstock .
- Depending on the diameter of the rudderstock at the location of the tiller choose the TLJ050, TLJ075 or the TLJ100
- Please choose the appropriate diameter, style and version of wheel: Standard or Tandem, with or without leather cover.
Jefa RP100 pedestal example